Beware of Insect Bites
In the summertime, we need to be very careful, because we can be easily bitten or stung by various insects.
If you are bitten by insects you will know in very short time because of the immediate effects that can occur on your body, such as pain, itching, scratching, swelling or a local redness.
All these symptoms are caused by the actual venom or a toxic chemical substance produced by the insect’s body. The venom or the toxin will attack your body, by producing allergic reactions immediately after it is injected in your body.
The reactions that you will have are based generally upon how sensitive you are to the insect bites and to the venom or toxin. The general reaction to insect bites are mild – like local stinging or itching sensations, and a little bit of swelling that usually disappears in a couple of days.
Sometimes, these are not the singular reactions, and if you are a sensitive or an allergic person you can have reactions such as swollen glands, painful joints and hives or even high fever. If you encounter any of these kinds of symptoms you must immediately contact your doctor in the shortest time possible, or if your medical situation should become life-threatening, you must call 911.
The most severe reactions to the insect’s bites venom or toxin are called anaphylactic shock. The actual symptoms vary from toxic shock and swelling in the face to breathing difficulties.
The serious symptoms are caused by only a few dangerous animals and spiders such as venomous spiders, bees, wasps, hornets and yellow jackets.
What are the Basic First Aid Practices for Insect Bites and Stings?
Seek shelter to avoid any additional bites.
Use a straight razor, a knife or even a plastic card to gently scrape off the stinger. Do not try to pull out the stinger, because it can still have some venom or toxin to eject. Be careful.
If there is local inflammation, you can use ice packs.
If you have a tick, you must gently remove it with a pair of tweezers.
You can also take a match and light it, then blow it out and place the hot tip on the tick to. You must make sure to get the entire tick out and not leave the head embedded. You should also get medical attention.
If you experience any of the following symptoms: hives, dizziness, fainting, breathing problems or even muscle and joint pains, chills, cramps or coma, call 911.
Any medications that you have used need to be taken with you if you go to the hospital, so the doctors will know exactly what you have used.